Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Author's note...

Placeholder

I am at the beginning of the journey that is publishing. I write, I revise, I repeat about a million times. I test it out, I rewrite, I revise, I repeat a million times more.

Then I query.

And I query...

And I query...

Then I rewrite and revise and repeat.

Then I query again.

And again...

And again...

And this must stop.

I've got many books in my hope chest! Any agent and publisher looking to marry me will find me well prepared for a long and fruitful relationship! However, I have decided to impose a limit for how many times I query. I know it seems like I am sort of breaking the "don't give up" rule, but I promise I am not.

The magic number will be 32. I get 32 rejections (whether they are from partials, full, or just from the query) I am moving on to another book. Why 32? Well, because the last rejection I got for The New Georgie Witherspoon was number 32. And this is the second time I have made the rounds with this book after revising and while querying Loni's Poetry Book. I can't remember how many rejections I got for that one but I'm positive it was more than 30.

And as the lovely Tex Thompson said to me at DFW Wri Con: "There is revising and there is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic."

I'm going to add querying to that pearl of truth.

My Books page will still have space for the currently shelved until I am published and it becomes a proper link to purchasing and promotion and all that jazz.

I love them too much to just tuck them away forever. I also love them too much to keep them on a road to nowhere.

Because...

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”--Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. Proverbs 16:24