Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Things I Learned At Five

Placeholder for Loni's Poetry Book

Things I Learned At Five

F: Is for the Five Fingers I held up when people asked me how old I was. But then they would give me a "high five." And then ask me again how old I was. And that was when I learned that grown ups could be really goofy sometimes.

I: Is for the Itchy spot on my arm from the shot the doctor gave me. They told me I would need shots before going to Kindergarten. I asked them why and they said to protect me from the germs in school. There are germs in school and they sent me anyway. That is when I learned that grown ups do things that don't make any sense sometimes.

V: Is for the Very boring books they gave me to read because they thought I did not know how to. But I had been reading since I was three and had moved on to bigger books. But they made me read the boring ones anyway. I asked them why and they said it was the rule. That is when I learned that grown ups make dumb rules.

E: Is for Every time I was told I was too little for some things but too big for other things. Like the time I fell from a tree I was trying to climb. It hurt. They told me I was too little to be climbing trees. Then they told me to stop crying because I was too big for tears. That is when I learned that grown ups could be really confusing sometimes. 

Grown ups make it hard to be five.

By Loni Tanner
age: eleven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. Proverbs 16:24