Wednesday, September 03, 2014

A Good Nickname

Placeholder for Loni's Poetry Book


A Good Nickname

  One day when I was four 
Momma and Daddy left us with Grandma 
Then came back home with our new baby brother. 

 What’s his name? 
And Momma said, Low-Gan 
Spell that please. 
L - O - G - A - N 

 That’s a nice enough name. 
But you can’t make a good nickname out of it. 

Loggie. Nope. 
Log. No way. 
Gannie. He’d hate us forever. 
Gan. Not a chance. 

 What’s his middle name? 
And Momma said, A-mund. 
Spell that please. 
E - A - M - M - O - N - D 

That’s a nice enough name. 
But you can’t make a good nickname out of it. 

 Am. Nope. 
Mun. No way. 
Ammie. He’d hate us forever 
Mundie. Not a chance. 

 I asked Callie to write his whole name down for me 
So I could see what it looked like. 

 Logan Eammond 

I’ll just call him Lee, I said. 
Everyone else liked it. 

 It may not make a lot of sense, 
Because we don’t sound out the E in his middle name. 
 But whatever. 

 He looks like a Lee anyway. 

 By Loni Tanner 
age: nine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. Proverbs 16:24